Ivette J. Russo MS in Clinical Psychology
Praise is fuel for our positive self-worth. When someone offers a compliment, kind word, they’re actually fueling up your self-worth. Self-worth is the value we have for our self: our ideas, accomplishments, successes, as well as our appearance, personality and character. When other praise any of these qualities, they are doing us a big favor – they are recognizing us in a positive way. When we were young, most of us were taught some very basic elements of courtesy. For a lot of adults, they’ve simply forgotten how to say thank you when they receive the gift of recognition. Someone offers us a compliment, we hid and blush and try to become the invisible man or woman. The polite and healthy response to someone who offers us a gift is to say “thank you” or “thanks for your thoughtfulness,” or How nice of you to notice, thank you.” What’s most amazing is when you receive a gift from others and thank them for their thoughtfulness, you’re actually reinforcing their behavior. People like to give gifts and make OTHER FEEL HAPPY. The more you accept their recognition in a gracious, courteous way, the more they will give it. Why, then you may ask, is accepting praise so important?
1. It sends a message to others that we are worthy of their recognition and deserving of it.
2. When we accept a compliment, we are building our positive self-worth.
3. As models, parents show their children that accepting praise is the right thing to do.
4. Everyone needs recognition. Accepting praise is a positive form of recognition.
5. When we accept a compliment, we’re more likely to send one.
Start accepting compliments today and notice the difference!